Thursday, May 1, 2014

The "Epidemic"


The other day I was reading an article about whether or not there's an "Obesity Epidemic" in Canada. The article was posted to facebook and was posted with the question "Do you think there's an Obesity Epidemic in Canada?" I should know better by now, but I read the comments.

What started as a question quickly turned to women shaming each other. Thin women were "twigs" and "Real men like curves, only dogs like bones." I have to admit I paid more attention to the attacks on skinny women as I am one but I know both sides had something negative to say.

Honestly I don't know if we have an "Obesity Epidemic" and I really don't care. I think we are suffering from an epidemic in our culture. An epidemic of body shaming, competition and insecurity.

We, as women (and men), need to rise above judging people for their body types! We need to see everyone as individual human beings who have struggles in life even if those struggles aren't the same ones.



We are all beautiful in our own way. We are special. The world just wouldn't be the same without you, or your friends or your neighbours who all have something to offer and wouldn't it be boring if we all looked the same?!

Enough with this "Real men like. . ." or "Real women are . ." We are all "real" because we exist. STOP IT! Stop the body shaming, stop the competition, start with love!

Don't pretend you know someone else's story before you've even said Hello!

Let's end the epidemic and spread a new one where what's inside truly is what counts!



No comments:

Post a Comment